Saturday, March 8, 2008

This is Japan!

Hey people!

I have something to share that may not make sense, but bare with me. I. Hate. Foreigners. Yeah, I went there. For some reason, the sight of other white people in Japan just upsets me. I honestly know how some Japanese people feel now - angry at the stupid whiteys that come to Japan and disturb the balance. Is that not the most hypocritical thing you've ever heard???

However, my friends and I can agree on this subject. Foreigners, in our eyes, are more or less scum until proven otherwise. I don't really know why this is. For all we know, other foreigners could be here for the same reasons, to learn about Japan and to learn about life outside what you already know. These are not the foreigners we see though. The ones we see are big, clumsy foreigners who don't speak any Japanese and walk the streets yelling and taking pictures. If you've lived in Japan you've probably seen them.

I guess the thought of people viewing Japan as just a tourist attraction or a novelty is kind of insulting. Japan has become my home over the past 5 months, and I don't think visitors really fully appreciate it. Japan is not just temples, shrines, and lights - its a complex and efficient country with a ton of history. I don't want to sound like I'm venting, I just want to share a little about how gaijin see other gaijin. And I'm pretty sure Keihan Wanderer under Bros Blogs will be writing on this subject as well.

So if you are foreign in Japan and I pass you on the street and don't say hello, try not to be offended. I just hate you because you're foreign. Just jokes....maybe

1 comment:

RodP said...

Hey Jon, it's Rodney. I'm glad to see you're doing so well. It sounds like you don't want to come home EVER! LOL Wow, what a country, it seems that Japan is the city that never sleeps(international style). Hit me up sometime. Whenever you get a chance I know you're busy.

Rod