Saturday, March 22, 2008

Korea vs Japan......Japan wins


Okay, I couldn't wait, I had to post something. I was in Korea for 6 days, and I saw more homeless (and crazy) people in those 6 days than I have ever seen in Japan. This even includes the time spent in Tokyo subway stations - places known for having homeless people.

Anyways, Japan cuts down on unemployment by having many (what used to seem like unimportant) jobs. Jobs like many crossing guards, street cleaners, trash men, etc. When I first arrived in Japan, there seemed to be a surplus of people with these kinds of jobs. But they must be doing something right. This country has about 127 million people living on an island roughly the size of Montana - and the unemployment is めっちゃ low.

Not only is employment low, there is the added bonus of super clean streets ( you can basically eat off of any surface in Japan), clean train stations, and safer intersections. Just to give you an idea, I encounter about 5-6 people scrubbing the ground and sweeping the streets of Japan every single day. Hows that for cleanliness???

I don't think I'm fully conveying to you how well Japan does this. Sure there are about 5 people directing traffic when their only needs to be one, but considering how narrow Japanese streets are and how populated this country is - Japan runs exceptionally smooth, and did I mention clean??



Top is Japan, Bottom is Korea

No comments: