Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Nomunication

Now that I'm back in Japan, it's okay for me to talk about drinking (excessively?) and not sounds like a raging alcoholic.  Thank you Japan for helping me remain in the denial stage.

Drinking culture is crucial in Japan and not just because Japanese are uptight and need to unwind (which is not a bad reason). Drinking culture has its roots in Japan as far back as time and alcohol itself. I'm seeing it a lot now with the Bounenkai (drinking parties to 'forget the year') which are typically held in izakaya and bars.

Side note: I actually got a work email the other day from a coworker saying thanks for inviting him to the Bounenkai, but he is too hungover from the previous night's party to attend.  I think I'm going to fit in just fine at work.

As with all Japanese traditions, there is a process and rules you are expected to follow; have a few beers with coworkers for new years, fill your neighbor’s glass, drink a lot, etc. I forget the rules around drink 8, but there is a clear drinking culture and the best part is anything goes when you're drinking. The whole "I was drunk" excuse is more accepted here and you're almost expected to get a little weird and at least open up. I find that a little karaoke afterwards helps a bit.  Nothing forms bonds faster than a bunch of sloppy people enjoying good food, singing like idiots and just letting their guards down.  Some have coined this phenomenon of using beer to make friends as Nomunication (which is a clever combination of the word to drink, Nomu, and communication.



Here's to a great year and a lot more beers in the future.  I'll drink to that!

No comments: