Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fushimi-Inari Taisha

With all the time I've spent in Kyoto, it is crazy how I managed to avoid Fushimi Inari for 5 years. Apparently it is a common problem with everyone else I know in Osaka/Kyoto.  If you are one of those people who just haven't gotten around to checking out fushimi inari, you are missing out on some killer scenery.

I walked about an hour south of the Sanjo Station along the river to get there but I saw a lot of busses so if walking isn't your thing...don't go to fushimi inari.  Fushimi-Inari has a nice open area in the front (first picture below) but after that it is miles of walking up a mountain through torii.  The scenery is cool and the longer I walked the less people I saw, making for some decent photos.  Unfortunately I didn't make it to the top but that just gives me a reason to go back.

Though I didn't make it all the way to the top, that beer I had afterwards sure tasted good after walking a few miles up and down a mountain.

I took these with my iPhone but I'll bring my DSLR with me next time!







(Unfortunately?) Google has a street view of a small portion of the walk, but you really need to see it for yourself.

No comments: