Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Peach Airlines

I just took Peach Airways up to Kansai for new years and what an experience that was.  Peach is probably the cheapest airline I have ever flown, and for a very good reason.  They are absolutely no frills. 

First class?  Forget about it.
Free drink service?  HA!
Have legs or arms?  Too bad, no leg or elbow room.
Boarding gate?  Psh, you get shuttled to the outskirts of the airport and leave from the cargo hangar.  

Costs? as low as $45 for a 1000 mile flight.  Yeah, I'll take that.  And I'll definitely take it over flying in the US.  Flying in the US is a degrading and horrible experience.  When I fly domestic in Japan I can pack as much liquid as you want (BYOB!), keep my shoes and belt on, leave my id at home and just get to where you're going.  Imagine that...Where's your freedom now 'Merica?

8% Double Ume Chu-hai?  This is most certainly a 'carry-on' item.

Peach actually isn't bad at all considering the price.  The flight attendants are still cute and the price is unbeatable.  They also do throw some chairs, carpet, and a bathroom up in the cargo hangar which was mighty nice of them.  Plus there are vending machines and little shops so you can buy any drinks/snacks you may need for the flight.  I slept most of the 2.5 hour flight from Okinawa to Kansai, but I would imagine a longer flight would be a little more miserable given the above mentioned lack of comforts.

Flying Peach is often cheaper, and certainly faster, than the night bus, so I will most definitely be flying with them again.  Next stop, Tokyo?...Sapporo?...Haven't decided yet.

No comments: