Saturday, December 7, 2013

Convenience-Mendokusai Duality

Japan, in it's infinitely confounding nature, is always trying to screw with me.  Once I think I have a handle on Japan it throws me a knuckle-ball and puts me in my place.

Take, for instance, the utterly insane convenience of this place.  Want a beer?  Just swing by a vending machine, or conbini, or pretty much anywhere and buy one.  Want to drink said beer and not have to worry about driving?  Take one of the thousand trains or buses that run on time, taxis that automatically open and close doors for you, rickshaws and bicycles waiting at your disposal (Jon Evans does not condone riding a bicycle while intoxicated).  Need to sober up and wash out your mouth after puking on that train?  Grab some food from a conbini, bento or ramen truck, izakaya, or yatai that is within stumbling distance.

250 Yen Bento/Soba.  Way to be awesome Japan.

Just woke up in a haze and you realized your rent is due? Too freaking bad.  Put yourself together because apartments and banks have never heard of the internet.  You gotta do this crap in person. Paying rent typically requires you to withdraw money, like cash money, and bring it to the bank to deposit into the owners account.  What a waste of time.  I would rather be homeless.  It is hard enough to do any online apartment research yourself because the housing websites are SOOO bad.

How about getting a job to pay for that apartment?  Well just submit a resume and see what happens. Oh, and that resume needs to be hand written.  Seriously Japan, you make the best electronics on the planet yet you can't seem to figure out that people like using computers.  I'm using one now and it's awesome.  WEEEEEEEEEE!  Now please just take my money straight from my bank account so I can sleep this hangover off.

No comments: