Sunday, May 4, 2008

日本バー Revisited

Japanese people are without a doubt awesome. Once again I visited Kyoto (for a classy night of drinking) and could not help but fall in love every 30 seconds. This is besides the point, I spent a great night in a unique bar, with four 30 year olds, and enjoyed alcohol I had never tasted before.

The beauty of Japan is that no two bars are alike. Izakayas may be pretty similar, but bars are quite different. And for those of you who don't know what an Izakaya is, I will post on that next.
So anyways, Japanese bars are unique in that no drink menu is the same. Every bar I have been to always serves different brands of sake, umeshu(one of my favorites), and even beer. Just last weekend I drank 4 types of Sake I had never even seen. The variety of alcohol is amazing, and kind of a challenge. This becomes a problem, however, when you find a brand of sake you like because you will likely never see it again.

Another great characteristic of Japanese bars is the lack of flat panel TV's and tacky junk on the walls. Most bars here are classy and don't have the drone of football interrupting your conversation.

Don't get me wrong, there are some kinds of bars, like standing bars, that are not classy and pretty common. But in general, if the bar has seats, its a pretty cool place.

Take care, stay classy

No comments: