Sunday, May 11, 2008

回転寿司

While I'm in the mood to write about Japanese restaurants, I thought I'd mention the most convenient and interesting of Japanese sushi places - Kaiten Zushi. I guess the best definition for this is Conveyor Belt Sushi. This is kind of self explanatory but you sit by a conveyor belt as a million types of sushi (and cake, juice, fruit, etc.) pass by you. When you see something you want to eat, you take it, its that easy. Your plates are counted later to determine the bill.

I love this kind of place for the convenience and for the small portions, and the adorable kids that go there. It is also pretty cheap, each plate is about 100yen (like 4000 american dollars right now). The small portions at a steady pace prevent me from eating more than 7 plates, but somehow Japanese men can down 20+ plates by themselves. 'Where do they put it?' you ask? 知らないよ!


If you don't see anything you like on the conveyor belt, you can just order and have it sent out to you. Some places have the Shinkansen that speeds your order directly to your table. May I suggest the cucumber or corn sushi - its amazing.

I hear there are places like this in America, but of course it originated here - and there are at least 3 within biking distance from where I live. Get out there and enjoy the delicious convenience - いただきます!

No comments: