Saturday, May 10, 2008

カラオケ

I don't know how I made it this long without writing about カラオケ (Karaoke; or for you foreigners, Kerry-yokey).

Karaoke is probably the most entertaining thing ever. And the kind of Karaoke most common in Japan is rather different from what I was used to seeing in America. For starters, you are typically in a room with just your friends, not a bar with a bunch of strangers (although, they do have that in Japan as well). And even at the cheaper Karaoke places you can usually digitally scroll through song choices and select a song via remote. Karaoke is also a place to find the ever famous nomihoudai - alcohol and singing just spells fun to me.

The song choices are pretty vast as long as you don't go to Ring. You can choose from popular (and unpopular) Korean, Japanese, Chinese and English songs. I'll admit, I was a little shy the first time I went to Karaoke - which was only 6 days into my stay in Japan - but as long as you go with friends its completely fine. There is always someone worse than you, and alcohol fixes everything, so just enjoy the terrible music. Speaking of terrible music, is anyone sick of Through the Fire and Flames on this blog yet?

1 comment:

Zach said...

Through the Fire and Flames must stay!!!