Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Recycling - Ever heard of it??

Okay, I lied. I will write on Izakaya next time. I recently got a question about Japan and Recycling. This is a great question considering Japan invented Recycling (as far as I'm concerned).

Lets go over the basics. All trash is divided in to Burnable/Raw garbage and Plastic. Drink bottles are divided in to glass, plastic bottles, and cans. Whats more impressive is that the plastic labels are taken off (via perforation) and placed in the plastic garbage bin while the bottle is placed in the PET bottle bin. Everything is divided up carefully. The fact that the Japanese are patient and care about recycling makes this work, its amazing.

You don't just see this kind of recycling/trash separation in homes; its everywhere. At the train station, mall, and even the Starbucks you see it. You usually have to take care of it yourself, but in places like Starbucks the staff will sometimes take care of it for you...what a country...

I hope this gives you a little bit of an idea about Japan and recycling.
I think the score now is Japan 85, America 4.

No comments: