Friday, April 4, 2008

I.Love.This.Country.

This post probably sounds familiar, but I was reminded today why I love this place so much (one of the reasons anyway). In my Struggle for Justice class, the professor gave a talk about his home town in America and the difference in safety in Japan.

The way he described it is that living in Japan is like having a huge weight lifted off your shoulders. This is such a good description. I honestly can't remember the last time I was stressed or worried about walking out at night. Walking around the second largest city in Japan at 3am is incredibly comfortable. Leaving your bags/or umbrella in your bike for 10 hours is okay, your stuff won't get touched. Walking through small alleys and not being able to communicate well is not a problem - nobody is out to take advantage of you. I can't possibly describe the degree of comfort because many of you are just unaware of the discomfort that you are used to living with.

Japan just feels free...I love this country

No comments: