Sunday, April 27, 2008

新幹線 - Japanese for Freaking Fast Train

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but I took the Shinkansen to Hiroshima recently. The Shinkansen is the Japanese bullet train that can travel at around 300kph (about 186 mph). Check it out Whats more amazing is that it travels safely at 300kph even though Japan has a high frequency of earthquakes. Tokyo alone has about 1-2 earthquakes per month.


The Shinkansen is absolutely great. There is no check in time like for airplane rides, you simply show up to the station and get on the train as it pulls in. Just be quick, because it doesn't wait but 3-4 minutes.

The seats were quite comfortable and reclined well past 30 degrees. Also, riding on the Shinkansen was like floating. There was little to no bumps or disruptions for the entire ride (with the exception of the attractive attendant asking if I wanted something to eat or drink)- which was surprisingly short. I went from Osaka to Hiroshima, about 175 miles, in about an hour and a half, with a few stops in between.

The Shinkansen is a little pricey but it is most definitely worth it in my opinion. I don't know exactly how much my ticket cost, sorry. But, prices are a little over a hundred dollars to go to Tokyo from Osaka, 1 way.

I'm not going to say it, but you know how I feel.....This country is amazing





No comments: