Sunday, April 20, 2008

And for dessert...two spoons and type 2 diabetis...


Well, I thought I knew what an Ice Cream Sunday and a Parfait was before I came to Japan....I was wrong. Japan apparently perfected the Parfait...no pun intended. Oh, thats funny because Parfait means perfect...its French

Anyways, anywhere you go in Japan you are surrounded by sweets. Parfaits, ice cream, baked goods, etc. are absolutely everywhere. It still amazes me how healthy and skinny the Japanese are. The portions are generally smaller, with the exception of the parfait. Parfaits are a pretty common dessert, you can order them in many restaurants. I'm getting a little sick thinking about eating one (because I eat them about twice a week) but Japanese parfaits are a work of art.

The ingredients typically include (but are not limited to): ice cream, pineapples, grapes, waffle cones, cookies, corn flakes, peaches, Jello, custard, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, chocolate chunks, apples, bananas, cherries, and the list goes on. I've found all of those in just one parfait!

Around any given train station there are about 15 places to buy sweets. So remember, eat till 80% full - so you have room for dessert.

No comments: