Saturday, April 26, 2008

広島 - Hiroshima

Greetings,

I was lucky enough to go to Hiroshima this past Thurs and Fri ( and also lucky that my teachers let me skip....sorry Garr) and I figured I would share some things, because Hiroshima was awesome.

Well, for starters, Hiroshima is not nearly as big as Osaka but has a whole lot more open space. There are some beautiful parks, a quaint little trolley, a castle, and a powerful peace museum. There were also a lot of French tourists, but thats beside the point. Miyajima has an amazing temple famous for a Torii on the water and deer. I will probably put a lot of pictures in a slide show soon. I thought about taking more pictures but everywhere in the peace park seemed so sacred that I honestly didn't feel like taking any pictures at all.

As for the peace park, it was a very moving place. From the moment you enter there is a change in the atmosphere. Everyone is quieter and has a certain sadness to the way they walk. The atomic bomb dome and peace museum are a must see, but be prepared, the museum is fairly graphic. Its a must see, but not necessarily a must see with a date. The park is gorgeous and the kids that are there on field trips are quite friendly.

Hiroshima is small enough to visit everything of importance in a day, but I recommend 2 days. The peace park, museum, Shrines, Temples, and castle might be a bit hard to appreciate in one day.

Well, enjoy the pictures to come.

No comments: