Thursday, December 16, 2010

ドンキホーテ

For those of you unfamiliar, Don Quixote is a staple of Japan (actually, I think there is one in Hawaii too). It's like a Wal-mart...without the evil.

This store is absolute magic. I’ve seen them in Tokyo, Hirakata, Downtown Osaka…they’re everywhere. I love this place because it is an interesting combination of boardwalk crap store, grocery store, and circuit city all in one. Seriously, whatever you need, you can find there. I’ve used this fine establishment to buy stuff ranging from laundry detergent, cup noodles, cologne, helmets, and even seifuku.

They don’t just sell cheap stuff either. They sell designer sunglasses, bags, jewelry, you name it. You could walk out of Don Quixote paying anything from 100 to 200,000 円 for a single item. That’s why I love it! Unlike Wal-mart in America which is home to the worst human beings on the planet, Don Quixote has something for all the normal people out there. Go ahead and check it out.

I gotta say, I’m partial to the seifuku section. Of course, you would expect a store with the website DONKI.COM to have a good selection of this kind of stuff. A lot of my friends used it to do their Halloween shopping too, since Halloween isn't very big in Japan. If you can’t find something to fit your tastes at Don Quixote, you should probably be in prison. They were even selling a nazi uniform for a while...if you're in to that sort of thing...

The jingle is not too shabby either. Okay, the jingle is a little dumb, but I guarantee you'll be singing it for the next three days after listening to it. Actually, the whole point of me writing this post is because I can't get this song out of my friggin head!

Keep a good eye out for Don Quixote (ドンキホーテ) and its pimptastic penguin.

No comments: