Thursday, November 11, 2010

Japanese Frustration

Part of what makes Japan an amazing country, is the fact that it has become so technologically advanced and industrialized while maintaining much of its culture and traditional values.
However, at times this becomes incredibly frustrating to witness, especially when you come from a country that has thrown traditional values out the window and every idiot can speak their mind (that was meant to be a compliment to America).

Here are some examples to help explain what I'm talking about.
Some friends and I stopped in at a Yoshinoya in Nanba before a night of awesome. I saw that they sold Kimchi-don (a beef and rice bowl with kimchi on top), so I knew they had kimchi and rice, and we asked if I could just have a kimchi and rice bowl. That is a reasonable request by American standards, but apparently not by Japanese standards. They said no, even when I said I would pay the price of a normal kimchi-don.

Here's another example. In America (and in my mind) drug use is not that big of a deal. I don't mean that getting strung out on heroine or cocaine is cool, I just mean that its possible for someone to try drugs and still be a good person. Everything in moderation. In Japan, I've found that people look down on users like they are the scum of the earth. That is just a tad bit hypocritical coming from people with such a large smoking population and drinking culture...and a growing population with aids...it doesn't sound like they have their priorities straight, does it? A recent study estimates drug use at just 2.9% of the Japanese population . For comparison, in 2007, 8% of persons 12 years of age and over in America had used illicit drugs in the past month. Japan really hates drugs. Meanwhile California loves drugs but they just can't leave their bongs long enough to go vote on the issue...

Last, but certainly not least, is the excuse of tradition. When I asked why people in Shiga still make nasty fermented fish that tastes disgusting for 1000 years, the response I got was 'its tradition'. For those of you that have seen The Cove, the dolphin kill is an age old tradition as well, but I will have to elaborate on that at a later date. Apparently it doesn't matter if the tradition is gross, outdated, or barbaric. The fact that its tradition is all the justification needed to continue year after year. Seriously, trying to get an answer more detailed than 'its tradition' from a Japanese person is like pulling teeth...from a dolphin while its getting stabbed repeatedly in the face.

I love Japan, and I know the reason Japan has such a rich and beautiful culture is because they stick to their traditions with such conviction. I just wish that sometimes they would let the dumb traditions slide...

No comments: