Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Kakigoori - かき氷

Holy crap, it is the end of September and Japan is still hot. August is the worst but Japan seems to be hot and humid throughout the entire summer.  It doesn't help that stores and train stations are cutting down on energy use by using less AC.

If your like me, a gross sweaty gaijin, you will be ベタベタ(sticky) just minutes after taking an ice cold shower. But there are a few ways to battle the heat that I am picking up from the nihonjin that seem to have a much easier time than my gaijin counterparts.

1) uchiwa.- These are cheap plastic fans that you can get free just by finding the right street corner.  On any given day, dozens of unfortunate Japanese folks stand in the blistering heat and hand out fans and tissues to passers by.  The fans and packs of tissues are supposed to be a means of advertisement, but I don't even look at what they say anymore.  Nevertheless a free disposable fan is much appreciated on a hot humid day.

2) wash cloth- its kind of ojiisan-poi, but I would strongly recommend carrying around a wash cloth with you at all times during the summer.  You can pick them up anywhere for about 100yen, and it helps to mop the sweat from your face.  Seriously, I sweat more in Japan than I do anywhere else, but the kakigoori makes it worth it.  Which brings me to...

3) kakigoori - Shaved ice.  Damn I love this stuff.  It is not too different from what you can find in America (its just shaved ice and syrup) but the flavors are certainly Japanese and they sell it everywhere in the summer.  Green tea is alright but I'm a sucker for イチゴミルク (strawberry milk).

Dericious

4) be Japanese.  Lastly, it really helps to be Japanese.  The only Japanese people I see that actually sweat are old (in their 50's).  Everyone claims to be hot (I guarantee you'll hear 'atsui' more than 100 times a day) but you don't really see them sweat.  Since I'm not Japanese, I utilize the shower option at the internet cafes and use free cologne at Loft because Japan is a hot sticky mess that is unforgiving to gaijin.  That being said, I freakin love this country. 

No comments: