Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No Mo' Kimono

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is nothing more beautiful than a woman in a kimono.…

Correction, there is nothing more beautiful than a Japanese woman in a kimono. There is something about a white girl in a kimono that is both awkward and kind of disgusting, but I digress...

The kimono has been around hundreds of years before America was ever discovered and is made up of many layers. So its pretty much exclusive to skinny Asian girls. Honestly, I don’t really care for the white fur that many girls tend to wear on their shoulders, it looks a bit too cave man-ish. Everything else about the kimono is adorable. The bright colors, the obi, the helpless way you have to walk when wearing tight clothes and tall wooden shoes. It’s the perfect outfit!


Which is why I was a little concerned when I read this. The number of people who actually know how to produce these gorgeous pieces of clothing are dying out. Kids don't seem to be lining up to take on the family kimono business like they used to.

Indeed you can walk the streets of Kyoto at any time of day and see at least 3 women in kimono, but for the most part its reserved for ceremonies. That’s a shame because if it were up to me, I’d make a day called kimono kinyoubi – kimono Fridays. I guess in a sense it would be the opposite of casual Fridays. And guys can wear Kimono too, but typically people mean a female kimono when they say kimono.

If you’re as upset as I am about the decline in Kimono producing popularity, just watch this. It always cheers me up!

And then this just brings me back down

But this brings me way back up! Way up!

No comments: