Thursday, May 20, 2010

Too much of a good thing

Yes, it is possible to have too much of a good thing, even when that good thing is Japan. A good buddy of mine introduced me to this website and article. This guy has lived in Japan long enough to see the ugly side. It happened to myself, but I've always tried to give Japan the benefit of the doubt or blame my own ignorance. This particular article provides an unfiltered rant on some real issues that one might come across on a regular basis. He brings up some good points, though I don't have nearly as big of an issue with smoking as he does. But as for smoking at 'toddler-eyeball-burning height' - I think I've actually seen a warning sign that shows a kid getting his face burned. He is correct in that virtually EVERY video game console in an arcade has an ash tray on it. Its interesting to note here that I have yet to see someone steal one of those ash trays.

I was surprised to hear about another vegetarian in Japan, and I completely sympathize with this guy. You can try to avoid meat in Japan, but its a 25 hour a day job. Japan still equates meat to 'genki' - a feeling of energy and vitality. This is akin to the 50's motto of 'eat your red meat, its good for you', which is obviously retarded. I've had numerous experiences like his bacon salad adventure. I usually try to give Japan the benefit of the doubt and figure that Niku (meat) is used to describe the big hunks of meat, not the minced stuff that finds its way in to everything. Big chunks or not, its still meat.

The 'screaming is the message' section was particularly hilarious. Many a time I found myself getting some melon-pan (oh so delicious) at a conbini, standing right next to someone restocking the shelves. Then out of nowhere some incoherent shout caused by Japanese turrets scares the crap out of me, and then silence. Does this guy need help? Should I be calling 119? (Now you know how to call the ambulance in case of an emergency!)

Though everything he says is a little spiteful and a tad overly sarcastic, its fact. I'm so glad to hear that Japanese TV bugs someone else as much as me. I just thought I was spoiled by one of the few things America actually does well.

If you get sick of hearing how awesome Japan is, check out more stuff from Tim

No comments: