Thursday, July 8, 2010

Japanese Food

やった! I got myself some of those unique Kit Kats I was talking about earlier. I still need to find some of the seasonal ones to try (though they probably aren't around anymore), but I have Soy Sauce and Red Bean Paste now. Honestly, I'm usually not a big fan of the red bean paste. I wasn't too fond of the original もみじまんじゅ (Momijimanju), the popular sweet from 宮島 (Miyajima) that is filled with red bean paste. I was a bit skeptical about the red bean Kit Kat, but it was awesome. It was somewhat chewy, and the bean paste was not overpowering. The taste was almost caramel-ish. It doesn't taste nearly as strange as its name implies. The Sakura and Green Tea Kit Kat's however taste exactly how they sound and are extremely delicious. I love just about anything green tea flavored but the Sakura one was quite refreshing. Whenever you find them, buy them in bulk!

Speaking of Japanese food, Banana Vending machines are making their way across Japan. If you click on that article, it has some good information, but I'm not too fond of the writer (it sounds like they have no idea what they are talking about). If they sold bananas in vending machines in America, then I would share their concerns with freshness. I wouldn't eat a Twinkie out of an American vending machine for fear of it being well past the expiration date, but I trust Japan. The line "You can find them almost everywhere, if you know where to look." doesn't make much sense either...
This concept just further supports the idea that ANYTHING can be bought from a vending machine in Japan. If I could only find a vending machine with out of season Kit Kat flavors....


No comments: